Thursday, July 20, 2006

Day the First.

Thursday July 20, 2006.

This is the first entry and it's short, since I haven't really done much.
I decided to use my idea for the novel "diary" as the project.
I also downloaded the registration form.
However, my chequebook is at home, so I will have to wait until tomorrow to mail it .

It has been pointed out that I have neglected to explain the contest very well.
3 Days. 72 Hours. 1 Outline. 2 Hands. 1 Brain. Lots of coffee.
The idea is to write a complete novel from start to finish, with no more than a basic outline pre-written. Here is the contest website.

I will be posting a bunch of different things here up to the day of the contest. Strategy, outlines and other novel related musings will appear here shortly after they appear in my head. I won't publish the ending in the outline. The fact that I don't yet know how the story ends will pretty much make that the most simple part of the process.

Comments and offers of hand delivered coffee (followed by immediate going-away-and-letting-the-man-work!)during the contest always appreciated.
GB

8 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, July 20, 2006, Blogger Crazy4Lost said...

Hey GB -

So this is going to be a diary of Diary?!?!

I wish you the best of luck with this venture. I know all of us will be rooting for you to win!!!

 
At 7:51 PM, July 20, 2006, Blogger Greybishop said...

C4L -
You hit the nail right on the head. With another nail.
The diary of "diary". I like that. I may have to change the title...

 
At 9:45 PM, July 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused about how this contest works. Three days to write a novel sounds rather difficult. Of course you'd need a pretty clear idea in your head about the story you want to tell, but don't stories also evolve AS you write them? What about editing and proofreading? What are you writing on (paper, typewriter or computer)? What are the safeguards to prevent cheating?

Gee, I sound a little like LOSTbean and her questions, don't I!

 
At 10:48 PM, July 20, 2006, Blogger Greybishop said...

The contest has been running for 29 years and lots of folks have managed to write complete (usually around 170 pages or so) novels.
I will be outlining my strategy on the blog as I develop it, and I plan to post at least part of the outline as it gets written. I may keep the ending secret though.
Whether I win, place, show or don't even come close, heck even if I don't actually finish the thing, it's gonna be a helluva ride. Plus even 150 or more pages of a book that doesn't get finished will put me in a new place with my writing.

 
At 12:29 AM, July 21, 2006, Blogger Crazy4Lost said...

GB -
Is it possible that you would be one of the entrants selected to be on TV? If not, where are you planning to do your writing? (Gotta know where to deliver the coffee!!)

 
At 12:46 AM, July 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GB: I just scanned the web site. Interesting concept. Is this something that you've wanted to participate in for a while or did you just learn about the contest?

C4L beat me to my other questions.

 
At 7:41 AM, July 21, 2006, Blogger Greybishop said...

I just found out about this in March or April of this year. Never heard of it before then.
I was always the guy in school who wrote the 2500 word essay on the night before it was due. Mr. Procrastination who learned to write FAST and NEVER worked from outlines or drafts.
I used to do English exams (They required us to submit outlines and first, sometimes second drafts along with the finished essay) backwards. I'd work the drafts out from my "final" draft that I wrote first. I always got 90+ on those and snickered all the way about it.
When I saw this, it just screamed "me".
I doubt I'd be on tv. I'm a first timer and amost 3000 miles from the home of the contest, so I'll just be lil' old me working in my living room in Prescott.

 
At 10:11 AM, July 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GB: Cool! It sounds like you are a "natural" for this contest. ....and it's giving you the shove that you needed to start realizing your dreams.... Lots of luck to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home